Home : China Travel Tips
Tips on Travel Seasons

China has everything one expects to find on her vast territory, from ancient cultural and historic relics to stunning natural wonders, from the 'Spring City' Kunming to the snow capped sacred mountains in Tibet, from the well-known West Lake in Hangzhou to the world's largest and oldest treasure house of Buddhist art - Mogao Caves in Dunhuang. For travel to the historical or cultural sites, such as Forbidden City in Beijing or Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian, anytime of year is suitable. The natural charm of an attraction may differ since each season has distinct characteristics. Visitors should decide the best travel time according to their interests.

Primarily dominated by the temperate zone continental monsoon climate, China features four distinct seasons - spring, summer, autumn and winter. The sunny autumn period from September to November and the blooming spring from early March to late May are the best times to enjoy most of China's natural attractions. However, in recent years, more and more people are traveling off the beaten tracks in low seasons to both avoid the tourist crowds and to explore the unique charm of the same attraction. Along with the changing travel times, some tourist attractions have been increasing in popularity such as the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival in winter and the Beijing red maple admiration in autumn.

Season Different attractions in different seasons
Month Best Tour Sites Tourism Festivals
Spring March-May gardens, mountains, parks, squares, forest parks, temple fairs Kites Festival, Cherry Festival, Folk Song Festival of the Zhuang People, Peach Blossom Festival, Water-splashing Festival of the Dai People, Mazu Festival of Meizhou in Fujian Province, Peony Exhibition of Heze in Shandong Province, The Third Month Fair of Dali, Luoyang Peony Fair, International Ceramics Festival in Yixing
Summer June-Aug. lakes, riverside areas, mountain resorts, beaches, grassland, waterfalls Dragon Boat Festival, International Beer Festival in Qingdao, Litchi Festival in Shenzhen, Torch Festival in Yunnan and Sichuan provinces, International Glider Festival in Jiayuguan, International Tourism Festival in Wutai Mountain, Sunning Buddha Festival in Lhasa, Grape Festival in Turpan
Autumn Sep.-Nov. mountains, fruit gardens, grottoes and caves Beijing Fragrant Hill Red Maple Festival, Guava Festival in Lintong District of Xian, Xian Ancient Culture and Art Festival, Chrysanthemum Festival, Ginseng Festival of Changbai Mountain, Silk Tourist Festival in Suzhou, China International Tidal Wave Watching Festival in Haining, Yellow River Culture Festival in Yinchuan, International Confucius Cultural Festival in Qufu, Jindezhen International Ceramics Festival, Zhengzhou International Shaolin Martial Arts Festival, Zhangjiajie International Forest Festival, Shanghai Huangpu Tourist Festival, Hubei Three Gorges Art Festival, Huangshan Mountain International Tourist Festival, Guilin Scenery Festival
Winter Dec.-Feb. mountains, stone mountains, ski resorts, hot springs, beaches Chaoshan Gourmet Festival, Harbin Ice and Snow Festival, Ice lantern Festivals, Spring Festival, Lantern Festival
I want to say
  • ReplyJessfrans
    12/22/2016 2:14:00 PM

    Hello ! Im a fililino and currently here in dubai i book already my flight going back to philippines , my ticket is dxb to hk and hk to manila . I just want to ask if i can stay in hk for a couple of days before going back in philippines , is it posible? i also have relative that i can stay with currently working in hk ?

    • Sharon :12/31/2016 1:02:00 AM

      Yes, it is possible. You can stay with your relative in HK.

  • ReplyVital
    12/2/2014 3:41:00 AM

    Hi, I'm from Belarus, I've been living in shanghai for almost ten years now, never been to HK since we need a special visa to enter HK. The representative office is only in Beijing I've been told. How can I apply for travel visa to HK from shanghai without going to Beijing , my wife and I wanted to spend New Year's Eve in HK. Is there any office in Shanghai I can go to?

    • Shana :12/2/2014 5:02:00 AM

      Yes, there is an office in Shanghai where you can apply for a special visa to HK. It is located on the 21F, no. 168, Middle Xizang Road, Huangpu District.

  • Replyrebecca
    9/1/2014 5:38:00 PM

    Hello, I just wanted to know if how much money do I need to take with me when visiting Hong Kong? Thank you.

    • Jane :9/2/2014 8:52:00 PM

      There is no limitation for the HK Immigration. For your usage, it is a little bit hard to tell, because it depends on what will you do in HK. Generally speaking, the transportation fee is around 100HKD per day if you travel there. For others, it suggested to take around 200 to 300HKD per day at least. If you want to purchase, you need to take more.

  • ReplyMareia
    6/2/2014 2:54:00 PM

    hello, I live in philippines and my boyfriend lives in philippines too but his from Italy and we likes to travel together in macau and hong kong this month of June 2014... But as i'm filippina I would like to know If possible to travel in macao and hongkong without visa? But its just only a weeks to visit there in macau and also a weeks to visit hongkong too with my boyfriend, But i don't know if I need to a apply a visa for both of that countries or I dont need anymore to apply a visa?? and more what documents do I need??? I hopefully for your response as soon as possible,Thank You

    • Jane :6/4/2014 10:05:00 PM

      You can enjoy a 30 days visa free policy for Macau and a 14- day visa-free policy for HK. So if you stay with the limitation, the visa is not needed. You need to provide the hotels' reservation, the returning flights from HK and Macau and pocket money.

  • ReplyMelanie
    2/3/2013 10:42:00 PM

    My sis was in kuwait working there and shes planning to come here for visit,

  • ReplyMelanie
    2/3/2013 10:40:00 PM

    Hi my sis was planning to come here hk to visit me for 15 days coz im working here what are documents to provide and will she be able to stay for more than 2 weeks?thank you

  • ReplyJasmin
    1/28/2013 10:12:00 PM

    Hi my sis from kuwait will gonna visit me here hk,what are the documents she need and how mny days will she gonna stay here coz she will book on april6-21.wating for ur respond thank you

    • Susan :1/29/2013 5:57:00 PM

      since your sis is from Kuwait, she can stay in Hong Kong without a visa for at most 30 days. the documents she need are her round-trip air tickets, hotel reservation (if any), passport, and an invitation letter from you if you would provide accommodation for her.

  • ReplyLyndon,   Philippines
    9/7/2012 8:57:00 PM

    hello i want to visit hongkong for 2-3days only what documents do i need? thank you and will wait for your reply...

    • Frank :9/8/2012 7:28:00 PM

      You only have to prepare your passport, return air ticket or air ticket for leaving HK, and enough funds to cover your stay in Hk.

  • ReplyFatima,   Philippines
    6/15/2012 8:51:00 AM

    hello, my name is fatima. I book a flight to hong kong Aug.25 and my return is sept.8 i just realise it's 15 days i'm only allowed 14 days in hong kong. But I will also visit macau for 2 days and back to hong kong. My question is when the immigration ask me when my return flight and they will learn its 15 days will they let me in? or just refuse me an entry.

    • Amanda :6/15/2012 8:00:00 PM

      it is possible you will be refused when enter Hong Kong. you'd better rebook a return flight on Sept. 7 (the 14th day) or go back to the Pilippines from Macau.
      another way (not sure if it is possible): after you arrive at the Hong Kong airport, do not pass the customs, and take a ship to Macau districtly. stay in Macau for 2 days and go to Hong Kong, in this way, you only enter Hong Kong for once, and stay there for 13 days.

  • ReplyFatima,   Philippines
    6/14/2012 11:54:00 AM

    Hi I'm Fatima,

    I book a ticket from aug.25 until sept.8 2012 so I count it's 15 days but in the duration of 15 day we will visit macau and then back to hong kong the next morning. do i need a visa or permit if i exceed a day in hong kong? hope to hear from you soon.

    • Peter :6/14/2012 7:12:00 PM

      no, you don't need a visa or permit. when you go to back to Hong Kong from Macau, you will be given another visa free 14 days in Hong Kong.