Home: Travel Tips: Passport & Visa: Visa
Font Size:    

Validity & Extension

 Period of Validity & Period of Stay

Period of Validity of a visa refers to the period starting from the issuing date to last day before a person may enter China. For example, if your visa is issued on May 1st with a period of validity of 90 days. It means you have to enter China before August 1st.

The Period of Stay refers to the period starting from the entering date on which a traveler enters into China to the last day, on which he has to leave the country. Take the previous example again. If the period of stay of the visa you apply for is 30 days and you enter China on May 10, it means you can stay in China till June 9.

Most tourist visas are usually valid for three months with a stay period of 30 days. The period of validity can be extended for an extra month. We suggest that you apply for your visa one month prior to your travel date.

 Extension of Visa

Foreigners who want to stay in China beyond the period which is allowed by their L visas, need to apply for an extension of their visas with appropriate reasons.

Documents of your valid passport, visa and certificate of residence registration, a completed visa extension application form and materials supporting the reasons of extension are required when you have the extension processed at the municipal public security bureau seven days before your visa expires. Also the certificates of your travel expenditures such traveler's check or other financial supports are needed to show you have an economic guarantee of your further stay.

The multiple entry visas cannot be extended.

The L visa held by visitors could be extended once with duration of not more than one month; L visa held by family visitors could be extended three times with the duration of each under three months.

For visitors who are purposely on traveling, with L visa, the stay period can be extended once with the maximum duration no more than one month and for family visitors, the visas could be extended two or three times with the duration of each less than three months. However, for the latter cases, more detailed materials are required to provide reasonable grounds of your extending stay in the country.

I want to say
  • ReplyOliviana
    2018/1/4 7:04:00

    I have stay 30 days in China and i have L visa for tourist and its valid until 21 march 2018. I want to extend my visit in China(at Xi'an). Can i? And where the place to extension my visa in Xi'an?

  • ReplyMarina
    2018/1/3 14:48:00

    I got Chinese vsa l type that says duration of stay 60 days after entry . It was issued January 2 , I will entry China on April 25 and leave April 1.Is it ok or I need to go back to consulate to fix it somehow

  • Replyasa
    2017/11/1 2:19:00

    Hello I have double entry visa expiring on 15 Feb 2018. My China tour is 11 to 19 Feb 2018.will I able to use it . Exit date is 4 days later that visa expiry date.Any issue happen at exiting day. I will be coming back via train to hong kong on 19th via Guangzhou.

    • Allen :2017/11/19 22:35:00

      No need to worry. You can use the current visa to travel from Feb 11 to Feb 19.

  • ReplyDesiree Wisdom
    2017/9/15 9:08:00

    Hello I have a 10 year visa with 60 day duration. I came here on the 17th originally is that the date it starts or the 6th the day issued visa. I am trying to fully leave China to go home but I normally do my duration before the 15th. I can't leave until the 17th back home. I can't get all the documents together for an extension they rarely speak English. Will I be OK to leave the 17th or should I go through all the crazy to get the entry and exit extension. I came on the 17th to china, shouldn't it start then because they never say I'm late when I check in on the 15th. Thank you

    • Daniel :2017/9/21 19:24:00

      If you enter China on September 17th, the 60 days will start from 18th and you should leave China before 23:59 on November 16th.

  • Replythomas
    2017/7/28 20:28:00

    Dears!I ve got an L visa (double entry, 60 days each) "Entry before 17.sept". It was to be used within 6 months.But I did not use it because my tour was canceled.For the new tour I would enter china on 16.th of october (one month after last entry).Does any embassy or consulate extend my visa?If not: Can I get a new one? Now (because the old one is still valid ).I would be glad for your answer!!!Thanks!!!

    • Christ :2017/8/7 18:43:00

      No, it cannot be extended by any embassy or consulate. You should apply for a new visa if you plan to go there on October 16th.

  • ReplyLalit Kumar Arora
    2017/7/31 9:25:00

    Hi, I have M visa with double entry, with issue date of 16th Feb 2017 & Enter before 16th Aug 2017 & with duration of 30 days after entry. My stay & flights dates are from 12th Aug 2017 to 17th Aug 2017. Will my above visa valid till 15th Sep 217 or only till 16th Aug 2017??Please reply fast, if I need some extension, bcoz only few days left before my departure.

    • Toby :2017/8/7 18:16:00

      Lalit, there is no need to worry. You can enter on Aug 12th and leave on Aug 17th. Based on what you said, the duration of stay of your M type is 30 days, so if you enter on Aug 12th, you can stay in China till Sep 11th.

  • Replysumit malhotra
    2017/6/16 8:42:00

    Hello we have 30 Day stay in china with M visa , we are entering in china on 29th june at 830PM and exiting on 29th July at 10PM. Is the visa with 30 days stay Ok? Also in a case of flight getting cancelled or something beyond our control delays our exit , whats the take.

    • Justin :2017/6/30 2:46:00

      Yes, it is ok. No need to worry.If flight is cancelled or delayed because of force majeure, you can just extend your M type at the exit and entry administration of the local PSB.

  • ReplyMarsha
    2017/4/10 5:22:00

    Hi there,I recently applied for L tourist visa extension and received a 30 day extension. Would I be able to apply for a second extension?

    • Jenny :2017/6/14 2:52:00

      You can have a try.

  • ReplyKelsi
    2017/3/16 4:01:00

    Hello!I have a multiple entry, 10 year, 60 day Visa for China. I know you said 'The multiple entry visas cannot be extended.' But if I show a flight that leaves two weeks later than the 60 day limit to leave the country, would they help and extend one entry for 2 weeks longer?Kind regards, Kelsi.

    • Sheldon :2017/6/14 2:51:00

      I think you can get an extension then.

  • ReplyCara
    2016/11/11 19:12:00

    I am trying to extend my 10 year multiple entry M type. If I extend my stay will it cancel my current 10 year visa? Also, I applied for an L type but was granted an M type. How can I get a letter from a company to support my extension?

    • Philip :2016/11/12 4:27:00

      Cara, they won’t cancel it just because you apply for an extension. You need to ask for an invitation letter from your trade partner to apply for the extension.