Home: Travel Tips: Passport & Visa: Visa
Font Size:    

How to Apply a Chinese Tourist Visa

Documents Requirements:

A valid passport for at least six months from the date of travel with at least one entire unused page
A completed visa application form can be obtained from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country or be downloaded from the official website of the Chinese Embassy in your country.
Two 2" X 2 (inch)" passport photos (either white& black or color) should be affixed to the visa application form
For Chinese Nationals now resident or naturalized in another country, the former Chinese passport is needed.
Related documents explain one's reasons to enter China. An invitation letter or a travel itinerary confirmed by a travel agency in China or an air tickets or hotel reservation files are all acceptable as the explanation of a traveler's reason for entry.

How to Apply:

An individual traveler can come to the embassy or consulate in their native country in person or through a third party (e.g. a travel agency or operator) to apply for his Chinese tourist visa.

No pre-contract is needed.
The embassy or consulate does not accept any visa applications sent by mail or postal services.
The process is straightforward and usually takes four to five working days. For express processing within one working day (any hand-in before 11:30 can be finished before 15:00), an extra fee of USD30 is charged and the express processing within two or three days cost an extra fee of USD 20.
Some travel agencies or operators handle a group tourist visa file for their tourists. However, this kind of group visa is actually not very convenient for tourists because all the group members are required to enter into and exit from China on the same dates.

Apply for a multi-entry tourist visa:

The multi-entry tourist visa allows a tourist to enter into and exit from China on more than one occasion and the stay period is 60 days. Applicants are required to provide documents, giving a reasonable reason for multi-entry into China.

Visa Fee
Visa fee is different when applys in different countries. The following table shows the visa fees when applys in the Chinese Embassy in USA.

Entries of Visas U.S. Citizen Citizen of other countries
Single USD 140 USD 30
Double USD 140 USD 45
Multiple within half a year USD 140 USD 60
Multiple within one year USD 140 USD 90
Multiple within two year USD 140    ---

I want to say
  • ReplyGary Wiggins
    6/18/2014 8:30:00 PM

    I am from the US. I am in Manila. I wsnt to to China. I need visa and all travel artangements. I have a place to stay. I want to leave quickly. Thanks

    • Fred :6/21/2014 5:21:00 AM

      you need to apply the visa through the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General. you can apply in Manila if you work or live there, but you need to go back to US to apply the visa if you are just a visitor in Manila.

  • ReplyNick
    5/16/2014 8:22:00 PM

    Hi. My girlfriend is a Filipina working in Shenzhen, China She wants to visit me in Calgary, Alberta Canada for her month's vacation. When applying for her tourist visa it turns out that she cannot provide a bank statement as her employer has been paying her directly and she has been sending most of it back to support her family in the Philippes. The agent at the tourist agency in Shenzhen (atlastoursagency.com) has informed us that she needs to establish a bank account and have $50usd per day for the number of days her visa will run - ie for a 3 month visa it would be approx $4500 usd. Is this true? Also is there anything I can do from my end to assist with the process and finally could this be a scam? So far my dealings with the agency seem to have been above board. I would appreciate any advice you may have on this subject. Thank you kindly

    • Roy :5/20/2014 4:21:00 PM

      Is she a nanny that you meet on blossoms? I had a similar invitation. I would say that you should be very cautious.

  • ReplyEdelyn
    5/14/2014 12:37:00 PM

    hi my boyrfriend is Chinese living in Shanghai, he ewant to visit but the problem is i dont have a bank statement with PHP 100,000 which one the requirements. i have a savings account with only 50,000 pesoe i just open a bank account a month. please help what should i do?

    • Karen :5/15/2014 5:32:00 AM

      Hi, Edelyn. You are suggested to consult the Chinese embassy directly for detail and exact information.

  • ReplyMitch
    5/5/2014 8:29:00 AM

    Can my fiance apply for a HK visit visa for 2 to 3 months validity for the preperation of our wedding in Hk and my mother will sponsor him? What are the requirements needed?

    • Brenda :5/5/2014 9:43:00 PM

      what is his nationality?people from some countries do not need to apply the visa to Hong Kong.

  • ReplyAzaleah
    4/14/2014 11:39:00 PM

    Hi My boyfriend is in SHanghai and he wants me to visit there on june for my birthday celebration too. He will shoulder everything but what do we need for us to get visa? and can we apply for S2 or L Visa? and i dont have bank statement so he will probably provide but his bank is in US.

    • Candy :4/15/2014 9:59:00 PM

      you can only apply an L visa. if this is your first visit to China, you have to provide the bank statement and NBI clearance. you can also ask you bf to write an invitation letter or affidavit letter to you.

    • azaleah :4/15/2014 10:08:00 PM

      I dont have bank statement? can my boyfriend provide his bank statement? and I am not employed right now should i be denied with the visa?

    • Candy :4/16/2014 10:08:00 PM

      if you don't have a bank statement, you should provide a letter of explanation, and also your bf's bank statement. better to consult the Chinese Embassy for detailed information.

  • ReplyK ta
    11/21/2013 2:11:00 AM

    hi, My fiance will work in Shanghai and get a residence permit for him and his 2 children.Unfortunately we are not married but living together for 2 years and this is not my children.We are fiancée but I just learn that I cannot get residential visa to live with him in Shanghai, is it correct?What are my options?Can I get a tourist visa for at least 90 days , easy to renew?Sorry for the long questions and thanks you

    • Susan :11/21/2013 5:52:00 PM

      yes, it is corret. you can try to apply a tourist visa, but i'm not sure if it is a 90 day, usually you can get a 30 day visa and you can try to have it extended before it expires.

    • AZaleah :4/15/2014 10:11:00 PM

      Hi are you in shanghai now? what did you do to be with your fiance? because my boyfriend is working also there for 1 year already and he wants me to move with him.

  • ReplyRhea Jane Lemente,   Philippines
    10/16/2012 2:27:00 AM


    I am from Philippines and i have an American BF in Xiamen, China working as an English teacher.He wanted me to visit him. Can he provide an invitation letter for me if he is an American citizen.? What is the best way i should to to get visa to visit him in Xiamen?

    • Nancy :10/16/2012 8:02:00 PM

      yes, he can provide an invitation letter for you, as a friend but not a relative, so you still need to apply an L visa as a tourist.

    • Azaleah :4/14/2014 11:44:00 PM

      Hi ask ko lang what requirements you have pass in embassy when you visit your boyfriend same case here im planning to go to shanghai on june on my birthday to visit my american bf working as teacher too.. please i need your advice,,he will shoulder everything too.

  • Replyruby
    3/31/2014 11:10:00 PM

    i'm a freelancer working online. i do not have BIR tax statement. Can I apply for Chinese visa?

    • David :4/1/2014 10:00:00 PM

      yes, you can, just have a try.

  • ReplyEdz
    3/15/2014 3:58:00 PM

    Hi,I am a Philippine passport holder living here in the Phil and my boyfriend is a Canadian who is in Canada right now and he's not working in China either. We are planning to have a vacation in China, however he will be the one sponsoring or paying for the whole trip. I already visited 9 countries for the past 3 years. Will it help? I would like to ask if there is still a need for me to present my bank certificate/statement when I apply for an L visa. This will be my first time to travel in China but we were in Hong Kong last month. What are the requirements needed to prove that he will be paying for my expenses? Please advise. Thanks.

    • David :3/17/2014 9:41:00 PM

      your experience of visiting 9 countries will make it easier for you to get a Chinese visa. but, as this is your first time to China, you sitll need to present your bank statement. you can ask your boyfriend to write a supportive letter.

    • Edz :3/19/2014 10:21:00 AM

      Thanks a lot David. You're reply is highly appreciated. So in addition to his letter, I will still bring my bank statement when I apply for the L visa, am I correct? Thanks.

    • David :3/19/2014 10:45:00 PM

      yes.you also need to present travel itinerary and reservation of round-trip airline ticket and hotel.

  • ReplyRosie Remigio
    2/1/2014 7:26:00 AM

    hello i want.to apply chinese.visa because we will.have cruisin in.the ship.of.my husband together with my 2kids ages 15 yr old and 11yr old.they have a schedule in China one day in.shanghai and one day in xiamen.what kind of visa should i get?transit visa or tourist visa?about our show money how much together with my 2kids.what are our complete requirements needed?I am now preparing to get our chinese visa?thanx.hope to hear an asap reply on my concerns.