Home: Travel Tips: Passport & Visa: Visa
Font Size:    

Entry to Hong Kong, Macau and Other Special Regions

Please note that Hong Kong and Macau, as two Special Administration Regions of China, have their own separate entry & exit regulations.

A foreign tourist traveling from mainland China to Hong Kong or Macau regions is required to apply for a Hong Kong or Macau visa. A visa to mainland China is also required when visitor traveling from Hong Kong or Macau to mainland China. For example, if you were traveling to Shanghai on May 1st (of course, now you have your Chinese single-entry tourist visa with you) and left for Hong Kong on May 3rd. After an overnight stay in Hong Kong, you were planning to visit Guangzhou in Guangdong Province on May 5th; you are required again to apply for another Chinese Tourist Visa. The best way to avoid this is to apply for a double-entry or multi-entry visa prior to leaving your country, which allows a traveler to enter China twice or multiple times during the specified visa period.

Things are the same for Macau.

Any travelers taking a group tour from Hong Kong or Macau to entering into the following Chinese mainland cities: Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing, Huizhou for a period of less than 6 days are exempt from entry visas.

Foreigners who want to visit Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Xiamen and other Special Economic Zones in China may apply directly to visa authorities in these zones for tourist visas. However, we do suggest travelers who need a visa for visit (or purposes other than a visit) should obtain the appropriate visa before traveling to China.

Passport holders of foreign countries (including those of Taiwan, Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR regions in China) who want to visit Tibet need Alien's Travel Permits issued by the Tourist Administration Bureau of Tibetan Autonomous Regions as well as a valid passport and a visa. The Chinese government allows only group touring in Tibet region and individual travelers are also required to travel under a group control in that region. Therefore, you can only obtain an Alien's Travel Permit through a travel agency. For details, please visit our Tibet Tour.

I want to say
  • Replyjen maaba
    7/8/2014 8:30:00 PM

    hi, i went to macau with my husband for honeymoon last june 15, 2014, i went back to the phillippines last july 1, 2014. my husband is still staying there with our friends, i'm planning to go back to macau this aug.1, 2014. will the immigration question me? i'm worried to be offloaded.. can you please help me..

    • Emily :7/10/2014 4:24:00 AM

      Don't worry! The immigration won't question you for your visit!

  • ReplyJennifer
    7/4/2014 8:04:00 AM

    Hi, since my study in china is over, I want to go back to my country but i want to travel to hongkong and macau before going back. I have single entry student visa and i have used it up. my friend told me that its still okay to go to zhuhai (special economic zones) with it. is it true? because she said that staying in zhuhai when travelling to macau is much more cheaper than staying in macau.

    • Iris :7/5/2014 5:31:00 AM

      No, it is not true. If you really wanna travel in Macao and HK, you have to fly back to your country from either of them. Because your visa is single entry, you won't be allowed to enter China mainland again!

  • Replysimang
    7/1/2014 6:14:00 AM

    Hi! What advice can you give me to pass Philippine immigration going to Hongkong? I will be having a 3 days 2 nights tour.. What documents should i bring? and what question do they usually ask? Please reply.. Thank you & God bless!!

    • Rita :7/5/2014 5:26:00 AM

      Show the hotel reservation proof and round trip air tickets and you will be allowed to enter HK. Sometimes, they may ask showmoney, around 100USD per day during your stay in HK.

  • Replyronish
    6/30/2014 11:08:00 AM

    Hello I am a Nepali passport holder.m planning to visit china soon .as I have heard the Chinese embassy is just going to provide me the tourist visa just for a month .what should I do if I need to extent my tourist visa for further from china?

    • Lily :7/1/2014 3:10:00 AM

      Do you travel to China on your own or travel through agency? Generally speaking, you need to provide: passport, valid Temporary Accommodation Registration Form issued by a local police station or a hotel and a visa or stay permit application form with with recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo for local Exit-entry Administration Department. If you travel a lone, you still need to hand in your hotel reservation proof, airline tickets etc

  • ReplyLovely
    6/30/2014 2:42:00 AM

    HI!.. My friend is a philippines passport holder.. she went to Hongkong last 3 weeks ago. her flight is from Manila-Hongkong but then when she arrived in Hongkong she was deported back to Manila, Philippines because of not bringing enough money as tourist but she has her roundtrip ticket and a hotel reservation. Now our concern is, is she allowed to have a vacation or fly to Hongkong again or to other countries as a tourist?..

    • Annie :7/1/2014 3:32:00 AM

      If he deportation was not recorded on the passport, it will not affect your next vacation to Hong Kong and other countires as tourists.

  • ReplyGen
    6/28/2014 6:07:00 AM

    Hi! Good day, I'm a Filipina and I'm planning to enter in Macau and going Straight to Hong Kong via ferry and then return to Macau for my flight to Manila. Is this possible? Thank you!

    • Terry :7/1/2014 3:00:00 AM

      How long will you stay in Hong Kong and Macau?If you stay in Hong Kong for less than 14 days and less than 30 days in Macau, you can do it without a visa.

  • ReplyAidanErogul
    6/24/2014 12:42:00 PM

    Hi. Im a Filipina and working in Macau. My turkish bf will visit and stay here for two weeks. He will get a round trip ticket and hotel accomodation. He called the consular at turkey and say that he needs a show money. Is it true that he need a show money when going here in macau? and how much? Thanks

    • Peter :6/28/2014 5:25:00 AM

      Perhaps show money is needed for his staya and it is at least 100USD per day! Turkish passport holders are allowed to stay there for 30 days exempt from visa, so the hotel reservationa and round trip plane tickets would help most!

  • ReplyJazzy
    6/24/2014 9:30:00 AM

    Hi i’m pilipino, i’m here in macau now as tourist, can i exit with other country like russia?

    • John :6/28/2014 5:22:00 AM

      I don't get why you have such confusion. You are surely allowed to get to other countries, as long as you have the valid visa, maybe for Russia.

  • Replyjean
    6/25/2014 8:36:00 AM

    Hello..! I am jean,from phil..I'll be having holiday in hongkong this coming novembre,for 10 days.I already have my roundtrip air ticket and hotel reservation.But my problem is,may i know how much money should i have to prepare for the showmoney?Thanks!!

    • Iris :6/28/2014 5:26:00 AM

      As I know, the things you have are enough for your stay! They may need you present showmoney or not. It is hard to say. However, to ensure a smooth trip, it is best to prepare that, 100USD per day!

  • Replyeilegna
    6/26/2014 4:21:00 PM

    hi good day! im from philippines and im planning to go to hk and macau. im travelling with my bf's aunt who is resident in hk. my question is what is the possible documents i need to bring? im still studying in college and graduating student and i also have my own business which is computer shop. do i still have to show money? btw im going to stay at my bf's cousin house and they are also resident at hk. and i also want to ask if possible if i will enter manila to hk for 2 days and go to macau for another 2days (by myself because my bf's aunt will be staying for long in hk) and in macau i will be booking a hotel.. and then i will exit in macau - philippines? is it allowed? please i need your advice. i dont want to be the one offloaded. thanks in advance

    • Elina :6/28/2014 5:32:00 AM

      As you will stay in his house, the round trip air tickets are needed. It is hard to tell whether you need show money. Just prepare it in case. For your stay, if there is hotel reservation proof, things will be easier. And it is ok to stay in HK and Macao for two days respectively.